Now a day, Cellphones are like a non-living part of our body because of many benefits. But, as everything has its negative side so the cellphone or mobile phone also has it.
हिंदी में पढ़ने के लिए यहाँ क्लिक करें
Here in this article we will focus on How to know radiations value from your mobile, is the radiations from cellphone harmful, What are radiations limit, How to reduce the harmful effects of radiation and many other important things like how much SAR value increases in children.
Federal Communication Commission (FCC) advised,
“ALL cell phones must meet the FCC’s RF exposure standard, which is set at a level well below that at which laboratory testing indicates, and medical and biological experts generally agree, adverse health effects could occur.”
Is mobile radiation really harmful?
It’s a topic of debate because there are many researches which shows the both sides. But, yes somewhere it harms us, our ecosystem and our environment. Please let me know if you want a deep inside on this topic.
Mobile radiations are basically electromagnetic radiation in the microwave range as 450–3800 MHz and 24-80GHz in 5G mobile. Know more here.
Read also: Marijuana/Cannabis is not addictive?
These radiation are generally not harmful. But, it can affect in certain conditions. The studies are going on with this topic by many organizations to find evidences.
What is SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) value?
SAR value can be a new word for many of us. But, it is an important measure to follow by cellphone companies.
“Specific Absorption Rate is the rate at which the living tissue absorbs electromagnetic waves. It is measured in Watt/Kg unit.
It is based on the concept that during transmission the electromagnetic waves lost some of its amount which is absorbed by the tissue around it.”
Types of SAR value:
We cannot say it types because it is depend on the specific area of the body. But, basically it is categorized in following manner-
- Head SAR: When the mobile phone is on the ear which very near to the head
- Body SAR: When the mobile is in packet or somewhere near to the human body
Standard limit of SAR value:
First, we should know the standard limit of SAR value for cellphones by authorities.
United States: SAR value limit for mobile phones is 1.6 W/KG/1Gm of tissue by Federal Communication Commission (FCC) when the phone is on call kept on ear for 30 minutes
European Union: CENELEC set the limit at 2 W/KG/10 Gm of tissue
India: Initially it was set as EU (European Union) but it changed to US limits in 2012. So, now SAR limit in India is 1.6 W/KG/1 Gm of tissue by Telecommunication Engineering Center run by Government of India.
“In simple language you can understand that higher the SAR value means higher the risk of harmful effects of radiations.”
How to check SAR value of your mobile?
There are several methods that you can check the SAR value of your mobile phone.
- Dial *#07# (Only on android except few models)
- It is mentioned on the inside leaflet or back side of the packaging of your mobile as the below image shows
- You can check it on the website of the mobile company with specific model number
- Call customer care of the company and you can ask for SAR value of your model
Above image is from the leaflet of my cellphone Nokia 6.1 Plus.
Precaution to decrease exposure of mobile radiation:
It’s a general understanding that if a limit is set then there could be a chance of danger.
“For users who are concerned with the adequacy of this standard or who otherwise wish to further reduce their exposure, the most effective means to reduce exposure are to hold the cell phone away from the head or body and to use a speakerphone or hands-free accessory.”
So, for the safer side you should follow some of the precaution said by the authorities to avoid harmful effects of the mobile radiations-
- Use ear phones which keeps the antenna in the mobile phone away from your ear and head
- Talk on hands free or speaker mode if possible which helps you to maintain a distance from the device and also this method keeps your ear and hands at rest
- Use texting if possible. There are many apps like a famous one is Watsapp. Texting also keeps your conversation to the point
- Avoid using your phone in packed areas like car, lifts etc because mobile phone increases the transmission power if the radio signal is weak
- Keep the phones away from body and not in your pocket whenever not in use. Not while on the way but when you are in office or at home at least
- Limit the call length
As per Department of telecom, Govt. of India; Let the call connect before putting the handset on your ear or start speaking and listening– “A mobile phone first makes the communication at higher power and then reduces power to an adequate level.” More power is radiated during call connecting
- People having active medical implants should preferably Keep the cellphone atleast 15 cm away from the implant
Factors affecting SAR Values:
- SAR value increases as the device gets older
- Long conversation on mobile phone having high SAR value may heat and may gives you headache and uneasiness
- Low network area forces your mobile antenna to transmit more power
The SAR for a 10-year old child is up to 153% higher than the SAR for the SAM model. Specific Anthropomorphic Mannequin is plastic model of head to test effects of mobile radiations in adults
Hope this article helps you to understand about mobile phone radiations and its effects on human being. Please let us know your thoughts in the comment box.
Explore No Disease Corner and Spread the Awareness.